The grand colonial-style building here that used to house the Standard Chartered Bank for over 87 years has been converted into a co-working space called Spaces Beach Street.
Prior to construction of the Standard Chartered Bank building, the old Central Police Station occupied the site, but was demolished in 1925 in preparation for the bank. Designed by John McNeill and C.G. Boutcher of Stark & McNeill, the new building was commenced in 1926, but due to difficulties during construction was not completed and opened until 30 January 1930.
Description: Malay Mail Online News & GTWHI
Beach Street, George Town, 10300, Penang, MALAYSIA